Northern Lights Council is a local council of the Boy Scouts of America and serves all of North Dakota, and parts of South Dakota, northwestern Minnesota and northeast Montana. See also Scouting in North Dakota.
All of North Dakota is in the Northern Lights Council (NLC), formed in 1974 when several councils (Red River Valley Council - Fargo, Lake Agassiz Council - Grand Forks, Missouri Valley Council - Bismarck, and Great Plains Council - Dickinson) were merged into one.
Each District coordinates scout leader training. activities and other resources for community based scouting programs. This council is divided into 20 Districts:
- Flickertail District
- Frontier Trails District
- Great Plains District
- Lake Agassiz District
- Lakes District
- Northern Sky District
- Oxcart Trails District
- Roughrider District
- Tomahawk District
- Voyageur Trails District - Pack and Troop 151, Warroad MN
Council Camps Edit
Northern Lights Council Camps feature many resources for organizing exciting outdoor adventure group activities and are available for rental by scout groups, families and other youth groups. Some camps feature an organized week long campership program during summer months.
- Camp Wilderness - Northern Lights Council is home to Camp Wilderness, which is located in Northern Minnesota on Bad Axe Lake, located near Emmaville, Minnesota just north of Park Rapids. Founded by Herman Stern and some other businessmen in the region in 1946, Camp Wilderness is a 2,400 acres (9.7 km2) camp.
- On August 18, 2006, the camp celebrated its 60th Anniversary by opening the Butler Wilderness Outpost, a Cub Scout camp for the scouts to attend. Camp Wilderness is, in area, the largest Boy Scout camp owned and operated by an area Scouting Council, although the National Council owns the much larger Philmont Scout Reservation in New Mexico, and the slightly larger Charles L. Sommers Canoe Base, also located in Minnesota.
Council Special Events Edit
- Council Scout Fair
- Wood Badge
- University of Scouting
Order of the Arrow Edit
Order of the Arrow is the National Honor Society of Scouting and recognized those who uphold the scouting ideals of camping, service and citizenship.
- Pa-Hin Lodge #27 is the local lodge of the Order of the Arrow for the Northern Lights Council. The Pa-Hin Lodge was chartered in 1977 and serves Boy Scouts in the states of North Dakota, Minnesota, Montana, and South Dakota.
The Pa-Hin Lodge started on January 1, 1977 through the merger of four lodges.
Eagles Nest Edit
Noteworthy scouts and service projects of the council:
External Links Edit
- nlcbsa.org - Official Website of Northern Lights Council